Why Organic?

What is organic?

When used to describe a type of agriculture, “organic" refers to the way products are grown and processedWhile the specifics vary depending on the regulatory agency, all organic crops must be grown without the use of synthetic pesticides, petroleum-based fertilizers and GMO’s. Certified organic means the product has been tested by a third party to ensure organic standards have been met.

Why is organic important?

More than 600 chemicals are in the billions of pounds of fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides applied annually in North American agriculture. The National Academy of Sciences reports that 90% of these chemicals have not been tested for long-term health effects. According to Cornell entomologist Dr. Pimentel, less than 1% of applied pesticides reach their target pests. The other 99% runs off into the environment, resulting in toxic soil and water. Organic farming removes the chemicals from your food, but just as important, it keeps our ecosystems free from the toxic burden that comes with conventional farming practices.

Why are some of your products not certified organic?

A few of our products are not certified organic, but they are grown using organic standards by farmers who care deeply about the health of their land and are committed to sustainable practice. Some farmers decide not to certify their products due to the costs associated with the third party testing. If you have any questions about the farming practices used with any of our products, please contact us.