This salad is one of our house favourites. The addition of wheat-berries to the salad means there's a lovely chewiness so there's great variation in texture and with the lovely grated carrots, the colours are bright and appealing. This is one of my favourite salads to take along to summer potlucks. It's also a great winter salad as these vegetables are all readily available year-round and will generally still taste good in the winter. The only planning for it is to get your wheat-berries soaking overnight. I have also used kamut or any other whole grain to make this salad.
The ingredient quantities are estimates only. Get creative with it, i often add purple cabbage to it, or kohlrabi, whatever I have on hand.
- 1 cup wheat-berries, soaked overnight, and then cooked
- 4 carrots scrubbed clean and grated
- 1/2 large orange cut into 1.5 cm pieces, make sure you save any juices to add to the salad
- Handful of chopped parsley
- 1/4 red onion, diced small
- Handful of cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/4 cup sprouted sunflower seeds
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 TBSP olive oil
Place all ingredients in a medium size bowl, stir well, and let sit so the flavours blend well. Enjoy. This salad keeps for days and the flavours get even better.