What is dulse and why would you use it? I don't want to scare you by mentioning it's seaweed but before you click away, I'll summarize with the fact that it is jam packed with nutrients and easy to use in recipes without influencing their flavour. For example it has 4x more iron than spinach and is higher in calcium, magnesium and potassium than most greens. Detailed nutritional value can be found at the end of this article.
10 Ways to Use Dulse - the Abundant Sea Vegetable
One important note, if you put a lot of dulse in your recipe, you probably will taste the seaweediness of it (which if you like it, great!) - if you want the nutrients without the flavour, stick to smaller amounts like 1 tsp per ~2-4 cups of food.
1. 1 tsp in your smoothie. It goes into mine every time!
2. Soups - any soup, add a dash here or there. Best to add at or near end of cooking so as not to kill any nutrients from heat.
3. Salad dressings - add in like any other herb. May provide a small tinge of saltiness (1/2-1 tsp per serving).
4. Spaghetti sauce - again, add it in like any other herb (1/2 tsp per serving).
5. Chili - mix in 1/2 tsp per serving
6. Hummus - mix in 1 tsp
7. Tapenade - mix in 1 tsp
8. Pesto - mix in 1 tsp
9. Bread - if you are ambitious, and make your own bread, I've heard tasty things with dulse adding a nice flavour. But please, invite me over to try it...
10. Your pet's food. Yes, pets need great nutrients too! Dulse is super for their teeth, joints & bones. If you ever provide them wet food or human food, just mix it in. Some will even have it from within their water bowls. As with you, seaweed can help regulate energy levels, aid digestion, help to provide a healthy skin and coat, boost immunity and help thyroid function for weight control.
11. Ok one more - if you grind it further, it can be used as a thickener in soups, stews, chowders, casseroles and so on.
These numbers are based on private lab testing of the dulse you are buying (not from a general reference guide).
|Based on 7g||
|Vitamin A||46 IU|
|Vitamin B1||0.01 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.13 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.13 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.63 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0.46 μg|
|Vitamin C||0.44 mg|
|Vitamin E||0.12 IU|